Royal Homes Wimbledon: Eligibility


All applications to live in the homes are considered individually and we consider many factors, including the Service connection of any potential new residents.


To be eligible for accommodation at the Royal Homes, our residents should be:

  • A member or former member of any rank of the Armed Forces
  • A married or partnered couple, one of whom was a member of the Armed Forces
  • A widow or widower of a member or former member of the Armed Forces
  • A dependent child, living with their parent who was a member or former member of the Armed Forces

In addition all residents must be able to look after themselves and their flats, with medical certificates to confirm their state of health.

The charitable nature of the Homes means that priority is given to those who are most in need of accommodation. 

If you are at all unsure of your eligibility, please contact our team using the form below or email us at

Costs for Residents

Our residents pay a standard maintenance charge for their accommodation, this includes:

  • Nominal rent
  • Maintenance contribution
  • Utility charge

From 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024 this charge is:

  • £7,347.81 p.a. for a studio flat
  • £7,500.97 p.a. for a one bedroom flat
  • £9,088.85 p.a. for a two bedroom flat

Housing and Council Tax benefits

Some of our residents are entitled to Housing Benefit and Council Tax benefits to meet some of these costs. The Homes manager can help residents to claim their entitlements.

Residents are responsible for the cost of their own electricity, telephone and Council Tax. Housing and Council tax benefit cannot be used to meet these costs.

Financial assistance

Potential residents who are on a low income are able to use these benefits to cover the cost of living at the Royal Homes. Our team will always help residents to find out about all financial assistance available, including support from SSAFA and other benevolent organisations.

Help with staying at the Royal Homes

While many of the residents at the Homes are getting older, we try to make sure they can continue to live in their flats for as long as they wish, or are able to do so.

When it is no longer possible for residents to continue to live at the Royal Homes we will give residents all possible assistance to move to suitable alternative accommodation.